Before the 1960s, prime fashion targets were the wealthy and elite individuals. However, when the late 60s hit, the fashion world took a drastic turn. Fashion was aimed at young people, and the shape, colour and style of clothing were transformed. By 1966, psychedelic clothing featuring bright and bold colours was a hit. By 1967, fashion added toned down and natural to the bright and vibrant scene.
Other People Are Reading
Layering colours of clothing became popular in the late 1960s. Go-go boots, paired with vibrant-coloured stockings or tights, accompanied miniskirts coloured with bold patterns. Patterns often consisted of geometric shapes or abstract art. The idea of "flower power" was also quite popular around this time. Both men and women favoured the psychedelic style.
Many children of the 60s began to see a problem with the materialistic phase when it came to fashion. During this period, people searched for practical and natural-looking clothing. Those seeking toned-down clothing opted for animal prints, ethnic garments and oriental patterns. Eastern cultures inspired this natural fashion, as did African and Middle Eastern influences.
By 1969, the hippie look had caught on. Long hair, beads, frayed bell-bottomed jeans, tie-dyed shirts, headbands and sandals were all mainstream. Individuals paired tie-dyed shirts or peasant blouses with fringed leather vests. Long, gypsy-inspired skirts were popular among women, paired with bangles and scarves. Print styles popularised in the late 1960s included Indian-inspired prints and patterns along with traditional batik patterns and paisley motifs. It was common to see young people walking around in bare feet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Retro Wow: 60s Fashion and Style
- Victoria and Albert Museum: History of 1960s Fashion and Textiles
- Fashion Era: The 1960s Mini Skirt Fashion History
- Baby Boomers Headquarters: Fashion in the 60s and 70s
- Stylish Kids in Riot: Britstyle's Decades Of Fashion - The Psychedelic Sixties
- Paper Past: 1960s Fashion