If you like to take risks with your personal style and go for that "edgy" look, you can dye the bottom layer of your hair. Whether you opt for a punk-inspired look with low-lights or a more fun style with lighter colours, achieving a two-tone look with the bottom layer of your hair can be achieved fairly simply with some common hair care items and your dye of choice.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hair dye
- Shower cap
Wash your hair and blow dry. It is very important that your hair be clean and free of oil during the hair dye process, as contaminants can make the dye less effective.
Comb your hair out completely, then separate the top and bottom layers of your hair. Once separated, put the top layer in a shower cap. This will be the layer that is not dyed, so make sure the hair is secure in the shower cap.
Make the dye. if you are using an over-the-counter dye, you will probably need to mix two components in an application bottle. If you are using beautician-strength dye, the process may be a little different, so make sure you thoroughly read the package instructions.
Apply the dye to the exposed layer of hair and wait the reccomended time for the dye to set. Then rinse with water and blow dry. Once dry, your new two-tone hairstyle will be visible.
Tips and warnings
- While dying it is important to wear gloves and a smock to protect yourself from accidentally dying your skin or clothes.
- If you're lightening your hair, you may need to bleach it before dying, especially if your natural colour is a dark brown or raven.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for