Rapunzel is the fairytale maiden with flowing locks made famous by the Brothers Grimm, who published short stories in the nineteenth century adapted from earlier folk tales. So a Rapunzel costume reflects a rustic and romantic dress, usually with a gentle flowing skirt and fitted bodice. You could make an outfit from second hand finds or use a Rapunzel costume pattern to sew your own creation. Disney’s 2010 film, Tangled, features a Rapunzel with a lilac dress, and versions of this pattern are readily available online. True to the fairytale it is the hair that really makes this costume. So whichever dress you choose, make tumbling locks the biggest feature.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Long wig or hair piece
- Hair grips
- Wig pins
- Hair net
- Hair bands
- Dress pattern
- Dress fabric
- Sewing machine
- Pattern paper
- Long skirt (optional)
- Peasant style top (optional)
- Ballet slippers
Put together a simple Rapunzel costume from basic items found in a second hand shop or cheap high street store.
Look for a peasant style top, with puff sleeves and embroidery, or lace-up detailing along the front.
Find a long skirt in a similar colour to the top. Choose a floaty material such as bias cut satin or chiffon.
Slip on some dainty shoes, like a pair of ballet pumps. If the costume is for an indoor party, you could wear delicate satin slippers.
Choose a pattern for a Rapunzel dress. These are easily available online, either as PDF patterns you can print out, or as simple video tutorials. If you want to make the Disney costume, look for a Tangled Rapunzel costume pattern.
Buy the necessary fabric having seen what pattern pieces you need to account for. Depending on the level of detail, this usually involves several strips to make the flowing skirt, and two or three pieces for a bodice plus extra for sleeves. If you chose a Tangled Rapunzel costume use pink or lilac fabric. You might make the sleeves or skirt from a different shade to the rest of the dress.
Cut out paper pattern pieces, then pin them to the fabric, arranging them so that they are in line with the grain.
Cut out the fabric pieces. Pin, tack then sew them together, closely following the instructions for your particular costume. These vary, but the bodice and skirt section usually come together as separate pieces before you sew the whole dress up. Some involve a bodice with eyelets on either side of the front, which are laced together as a design feature.
Try on the gown and make any necessary adjustments or adornment.
Choose a wig or hairpiece. Rapunzel’s hair should be as long as possible. She is usually depicted as blonde but to keep your natural colour, choose a long hair piece in a matching shade.
Clip in the hairpiece or put on the wig. To fix the wig properly, pin-curl your hair up, securing with hair grips. Place a hair net over this and then use long wig pins to fix it securely.
Scoop hair in to a pony tail that tumbles over one shoulder, or braid it partially, fixing with hair bands.
Tips and warnings
- Adorn a plain or cheap costume with embroidery, iron-on decorations or fresh flowers.
- Give a princess look to a simple, second hand lilac skirt by sewing in a petticoat layer made from tulle.
- Find extra long Rapunzel wigs from specialist wig makers, online or from cosplay specialists.
- Many of the Tangled Rapunzel costume tutorials require a high skill level and experience of sewing. You will need a good sewing machine and to be able to understand how to cut and fit a pattern, as well as do things like darting the bodice and hemming with lace. If you’re a beginner, spend some time searching through online tutorials or patterns to find a very simple one. Or consider making a skirt in the right colour and then buying a top to go with it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for