Astronaut costumes are great for kids and adults of all ages. It is a guaranteed way to stand out at a themed party or at Halloween, and it is a costume that can be worn by both boys and girls. Buying the costume may seem like the easiest option, as certain parts such as the face mask may appear daunting to create yourself. However, purchasing or renting costumes can be expensive and making an astronaut face mask is deceptively easy and affordable.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Large white plastic bucket (one that will fit over your head)
- X-acto knife
- Craft knife
- Dish towel
Draw a horizontal oval or rounded square face opening on the front of your plastic bucket.
Using a hammer, make a small hole in the top of the oval or rounded square you have drawn. Place the x-acto knife in this hole and cut the shape out.
Roll up a dish towel and wrap it around your head. Tape it closed so it forms a ring shape.
Remove the towel and tape it to the top inside of the bucket. This will provide padding for your head when you are wearing it
If you would like to take the helmet a step further and add in a realistic looking visor you will need glue and acrylic. Acrylic is available at hardware stores. Lay the acrylic across the front opening of the bucket. Mark on the acrylic the size of the opening and then allow an additional inch each side. This is to ensure that you won't be short when you glue it to the inside of the bucket.
Using the x-acto knife carefully cut the size of acrylic needed for your visor.
Using glue, carefully glue the visor inside the bucket, on the back of the face hole. Let it dry and make sure it is secure.
Lower the helmet onto your head and leave in place. You now have a cheap, homemade astronaut face mask.
Tips and warnings
- If you have a motorcycle helmet handy consider using that as the astronaut face mask.
- For extra authenticity, place a NASA sticker above the oval you cut out for your face
- Be aware that having the visor as part of the costume will make it slightly more difficult to breathe as less air is able to get in.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for