You don't have to settle for that same old ponytail if you want to wear your hair up, nor do you have to spend a fortune going to the hair salon. There are several easy updos you can create at home using only a few hair tools. Casual and elegant at the same time, certain looks only take minutes to create.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Blow dryer or flat iron
- Curling iron
- Hair styling products
- Hair tie
- Hair pins
- Hair clips
- Decorative accessories (optional)
Blow dry or flat iron your hair straight. For more volume, curl your hair with the curling iron.
Gather your hair up into a ponytail as high or as low as you want, and secure it with a hair tie or hair clip.
To create a bun, twist or braid your ponytail, wrapping the hair around the base of the ponytail. Secure your bun with hair pins. For a looser bun, don't twist your ponytail too tight. For shorter hair, instead of twisting your ponytail into a bun, tuck it under and secure it with hair pins.
To create pin curls, curl small pieces of your ponytail with the curling iron. For tighter curls, use a curling iron with a 1-inch barrel or smaller. Pin the curls with hair pins, working around the base of the ponytail and in the pattern of the curls.
Use a hair styling product, such as hairspray or pomade, to tame fly-aways. You could also let any stray hairs hang where they are or curl them for a more polished look. Apply hairspray or a finishing spray around your entire head to hold your style.
Add decorative accessories to your hair to finish your look or leave your 'do as is.
Tips and warnings
- Wash your hair before styling for the best results.
- If you don't know how to use a curling iron, try using hair rollers instead. Keep in mind this may take more time.
- For more length, you can use a ponytail hair extension piece.
- Use caution handling a hot curling iron to prevent getting burnt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for