The ethereal, romantic quality of a Grecian hairstyle holds allure in the modern world much as it did centuries previous. The hairstyles on certain statues tell of thick, braided hair laboriously styled into a pleasing braid around the head, but the statues don't tell how easy the hairstyle is to mimic and just how simple a braid can alter the entire dynamic of a hairstyle. Grecian braids (commonly called goddess braids) aren't just for the goddesses.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Long hair (at least 2 inches below the shoulder)
- Hair elastics
- Hair clips
Comb straight hair to remove tangles. Slightly dirty hair would work well, though if freshly shampooed, use a dollop of mousse or styling product. Split hair in centre and comb left and right sides thoroughly to create a distinct separation. Ensure the line is straight.
Pull the left side into a balanced ponytail, so the base of the tail begins on the side of you hair, centred and even with the other side. Braid each side and apply elastics.
Wrap the left braid around the back base (a few inches above the nape) of your head and fasten with hair clips to the right side's braid base. If hair extends farther, wrap the remaining section of the left braid under the rest of the right braid and fasten with pins.
An alternative is to French braid the hair around the head for a more secure and different look.
Wrap the right braid across the forehead, an inch or so above the hairline. Pin to the left side braid. If excess remains, wrap underneath the rest of the left braid. Secure the braids with more pins if need be.
Spritz the braids with hairspray to hold hair in place and reduce flyaways.
Tips and warnings
- If you have fringe, style them underneath the braids, so they are visible. This creates a modern, edgy look.
- If hair is too long to wrap around and secure, consider wrapping around and forming a bun in the back of your head. Greek braids are simple braids styled against the head, rather than free-flowing, which gives you creative license.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for