Adding a baggage strap to your luggage has many advantages. A strap adds an extra layer of security to hold your luggage shut if a zipper or latch fails while travelling. Additionally, you can use a contrasting coloured baggage strap so you can easily distinguish your luggage from similar bags. This can be especially useful when trying to find your luggage at an airport baggage claim. Another advantage is that baggage straps can be used to tie two pieces of luggage together, which could make moving your luggage easier.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Measure the outside diameter of your luggage. Start with the handle and measure completely around the luggage until you get back to the handle. You could also measure the thickness of the luggage at the handle plus the distance from the handle to the floor and double this figure.
Make sure your baggage strap is several inches longer than the measurement from step 1. If your baggage strap is 12 to 18 inches longer, it can also be used to secure two luggage bags together for easier moving.
Thread the baggage strap through the luggage handle and continue down to the floor and under the luggage and then back to the handle. This method puts the strap across the panel that opens. By threading the strap through the handle, this reduces the chances of the strap slipping off the luggage.
Snap the clasp closed and pull the adjustment strap to tighten the baggage strap to secure it around your luggage. If you have a baggage strap with a TSA-approved combination lock, you must adjust the strap length before locking the clasp.
Tips and warnings
- Choose a colourful baggage strap that contrasts with your luggage to make identifying your luggage easier.
- Putting the strap through the handle makes the strap visible when your luggage is inserted in most aeroplane overhead bins.
- Some straps can be purchased with TSA-approved combination locks on them for added security.
- Baggage straps can be purchased at luggage or travel stores, or easily found online by searching for "Luggage Straps."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for