Hawaiian tissue paper flower necklaces, also known as tissue paper leis, are a classic summer craft. They invoke thoughts of tropical islands, endless beaches and, of course, Hawaii. It doesn't matter if you're making a lei for a child's birthday party or an adult's fancy dress costume; making a tissue paper flower necklace is a cheap and simple task. You want to use tissue paper in a variety of colours to give your lei a brightly coloured, tropical appearance.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tissue paper, assorted colours
- Measuring tape
- Clear tape
- Green yarn
- Green plastic beads, 2.5 cm (1 inch) diameter
Cut three circles from a single colour of tissue paper, 25 cm (10 inches) in diameter. Use the measuring tape and pencil to sketch the outline if needed. Lay the circles in a stack, and pinch the pieces together in the middle of the round shape. Let the outer edges of the circles fold into a Hawaiian tissue paper flower shape. Wrap a piece of tape tightly around the pinched area of the tissue paper to create a 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) tab.
Repeat Step 1 until you have created at least 12 tissue paper flowers for the necklace in assorted colours.
Cut a 60 to 90 cm (24 to 36 inch) long piece of yarn, depending on how long you want the Hawaiian tissue paper flower necklace. Place a paper flower face down on a flat surface with the tape tab folded flat against the back of the flower. Fold the yarn in half, and put the middle point horizontally along the middle of the flower.
Use a short piece of tape to secure the yarn along the middle of the tissue paper flower. Use a short piece of tape placed vertically to help secure the first piece of tape and keep the flower open. Slide one green plastic bead onto the yarn along the left side of the flower and one along the right side.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until you've made at least 40 cm (16 inches) of decorated yarn to create the Hawaiian tissue paper flower necklace. Tie the ends of the lei in a knot to the length desired. Cut any excess yarn from the necklace.
Tips and warnings
- To create a Hawaiian tissue paper flower necklace with sharp contrast, add a colourful flower to the necklace followed by a green flower. Keep repeating this pattern, and you'll end up with a lei that looks like it's strung with interchanging flower and leaf clusters.
- If you don't have green beads, you can also cut disposable straws into 2.5 to 7.5 cm (1 to 3 inch) sections to create recycled tube beads.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for