KEEN drawstring sandals and shoes feature a push button toggle known as the "lace lock” for shoe fitting/adjustment. Instead of pulling, tying and knotting laces, KEEN drawstring shoe owners simply need to push the button on top of the toggle, slide the toggle into a desired position and then release the button to lock the laces. Lace lock replacement is required when the button no longer works or the toggle plastic cracks and can no longer hold the laces into position.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Screwdriver set
- Pliers (optional)
Remove the broken toggle/lace lock. Push the edge of a small flathead screwdriver into the seam between the lace joint and the lace joint cap at the end of your shoelaces until the cap pops out of the lace joint. Pull the lace ends from the cap and then slide the pieces (joint and cap) from your laces. Push down on the toggle/lace lock button and slide the toggle/lock from your laces.
Replace the toggle/lace lock. Push down the button on top of your new toggle to open the lock holes. While holding down the button, slide the left lace end through the corresponding left toggle hole and then repeat with the right.
Re-attach the lace joint. Slide the toggle/lace lock to the top of your shoe and then release the lock button. Slide the lace ends through the holes on the lace joint. Push the joint back onto the laces leaving approximately an inch of the lace ends hanging loose.
Insert the ends of your laces securely into the slots on the lace joint cap.
Push the lace joint and cap together. Pull on the shoelaces behind the lace joint to draw the cap toward the joint and then gently push the cap into the joint. If necessary, push the pieces together using pliers.
Tips and warnings
- Contact KEEN to request a replacement toggle(s) and/or drawstring shoelaces. Make your request by phone or via the KEEN web form (see Resources). To use the web from, go to the webpage, select the "Does KEEN offer replacement laces" link and then the "click here" button. When the form pops open, enter your contact information, shoe style, shoe colour and the colour of your laces and then select the "SEND" button.
- If you need your toggle and/or laces rush shipped, inform KEEN when you make your request. As replacements normally take weeks to ship, you may need to pay shipping or other fees for an expedited request.
- If you can't remove the old toggle/lace lock because of a broken button, insert the toggle between the jaws of a pair of pliers, crush the toggle plastic surrounding the laces until the plastic lock holes break and then pull the toggle from the laces.
- Never use pliers with jaws that have sharp teeth to snap the joint lock and cap together as the teeth can damage the plastic pieces. Instead, always use pliers with flat jaws.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for