Felt can be used for a variety of crafting purposes, and it makes very pretty items. Felt daisies are easy to make for projects celebrating spring and summer. Affix them to hair clips, alligator clips or snap clips for hair accessories, or glue them directly to scrapbooking pages. If you make a lot of felt daisies, you can even attach them to green wire and put them in a small vase as a flower gift.
Things you need
1 9-by-12 rectangle white felt
1 9-by-12 rectangle yellow felt
1 9-by-12 rectangle leaf green felt
Coordinating embroidery floss (white or yellow)
1 sheet white paper
Hot glue gun
Draw a 2-inch-long and 1/2-inch-wide narrow oval on the white paper for the daisy petal pattern. Draw a teardrop-shaped leaf pattern, approximately 2.5 inches long and 1 inch wide at the bottom. Also draw a circle, approximately 1/2 inch to 3/4 inches in diameter for the daisy centre pattern. Cut out your patterns.
Cut out five to seven petals from the white felt, using the petal pattern. Cut two leaves from the green felt and one centre from the yellow felt.
Choose which end of your narrow petals will be the bottom. With your threaded needle, sew the petals together, using one running stitch on the bottom point of each petal in the same place on each petal, for a total of five to seven stitches, depending on your number of petals.
Draw the thread taut and tie a knot using both ends of the thread. The petals will be drawn together into a circle. You can work the petals to form a pinwheel, overlapping at the edges, or pull the thread tighter to create "pleats" in the petals. Work the flower so that the bottom points are all touching and the petals are lying slightly flat if you choose pleats.
Glue your two leaves to the underside of your flower, hiding your knots and stitches.
Glue the centre to the top of the petal, in the centre over your stitches.
- You can make yellow daisies by cutting petals from the yellow felt instead of the white felt. If you do this, you may want to use the white felt for the centre of the flowers for a nice contrast. Other colours can be used to make multicoloured daisies. Instead of felt for the centre of the flower, you can also use coloured buttons.
Tips and Warnings
- You can make yellow daisies by cutting petals from the yellow felt instead of the white felt. If you do this, you may want to use the white felt for the centre of the flowers for a nice contrast.
- Other colours can be used to make multicoloured daisies.
- Instead of felt for the centre of the flower, you can also use coloured buttons.
Things you need
- 1 9-by-12 rectangle white felt
- 1 9-by-12 rectangle yellow felt
- 1 9-by-12 rectangle leaf green felt
- Coordinating embroidery floss (white or yellow)
- 1 sheet white paper
- Hot glue gun