Hawaiian leis are intricate wreaths worn around the neck or forehead that are constructed with a variety of materials, including fresh flowers, seashells and green ferns. Traditionally, leis signify love, friendship or appreciation and are often given at weddings, funerals, graduations and other events. You can make your own headband leis at home with coloured tissue paper to give to friends and family or to use as a party favour at your own luau.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Coloured tissue paper
- 2-inch strip of posterboard
- Masking tape
Cut coloured tissue paper into 3-by-3 inch squares. You will need about 30 to 40 pieces or more for one lei. Use different-coloured tissue paper for a more festive and colourful final result.
Cut a 2-inch strip of poster board for the headband that will be long enough to comfortably fit around your forehead. Add a little more length on the strip so you can overlap the ends when taping together after you're finished adding flowers.
Spread glue evenly over the poster board. Don't use too much glue or it could cause the tissue paper to tear when you're positioning flowers on the strip. Wipe off any excess glue as you work.
Place the eraser of a pencil on the centre of a piece of tissue paper. Twist the paper upward around the pencil.
Remove the pencil and place the tissue paper on the strip. Hold it in place for a few seconds to secure it.
Repeat with more tissue paper squares until the entire strip of poster board is covered with flowers. Fluff out the tissue flowers, then fill in any spots that look a little bare with more flowers.
Secure the ends of the headband using masking tape. The lei is ready to wear or give to a friend.
Tips and warnings
- Arrange the different tissue paper colours to create fun patterns. Or use one or two colours to coordinate with the colours of items used for the theme of a party or event.
- For less mess, especially if kids are making the leis, spread 3 to 4 inches of glue along the band, add flowers, then spread a few more inches of glue along the strip before adding flowers. Continue in this manner until the band is full of flowers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for