Just as flowers can add a touch of elegance and beauty to any environment, flower garlands are a colourful and cute project for garden parties, celebrations and everyday crafting. Simple to create and sure to please, flower garlands have been made for centuries to accent outfits and adorn festive occasions, and are a fast and fun project for even the beginning crafter.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Two dozen flowers (carnations or hibiscus flowers are most often used)
Using your scissors, cut each flower at the base of the calyx (where the stem meets the round bottom of the flower.) Do one flower at a time and work carefully to avoid snipping too close to the flower itself.
Thread your needle with 90 cm (36 inches) of doubled thread. This length will create a garland that falls to about the centre of the chest and has leftover thread for knotting the garland at the end of the process.
Insert your needle from the head of the flower to the stem. Repeat this step on 12 of your 24 flowers, gently compressing the flowers together as you work.
For the remaining 12 flowers, switch directions and insert your needle from stem to head.
Once all your flowers are threaded and compressed together, tie the ends of the thread in three or four basic knots to ensure that the garland does not come unstrung.
Tips and warnings
- To ensure that your garland stays fresh for as long as possible, you may want to spray it with a floral or satin acrylic spray. This will give the blossoms a slight sheen, but keep them from wilting or drying out as quickly as they would normally.
- When selecting the flowers for your garland, keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Roses may be beautiful, but most types are too large to compress onto a garland. In the same vein, very small flowers also should not be used for garlands, as they are too delicate and will not hold up under the process.
- You can also make garlands using silk flowers if you want a bigger selection in colour. Silk flower garlands will last much longer than those made of real flowers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for