Children are delighted by whimsical fairies. From Peter Pan's Tinkerbell, to the old standby, the Tooth Fairy, children adore the magic and fantasy fairies offer. Create a handful of fairies with your child or students with felt and pipe cleaners for a creative project and a lot of pretend fun.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 5 wire pipe cleaners in assorted colours
- Felt scraps in flesh tones or assorted colours
- 1 yard tulle
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Permanent black marker
- Squeeze tubes of glitter glue assorted colours
Twist two pipe cleaners into an "X" shape.
Twist a pipe cleaner around the centre of the "X," leaving a 1-inch "tail" in front between the top "arms" of the "X," and bent up, sticking out of the center back of the "X." This is your fairy body.
Twist a pipe cleaner into a circle. Do this twice.
Twist the centre "tail" on the back of the "X" around the centres of the 2 circles. These are the fairy wings.
Cut a felt circle approximately two inches in diameter.
Draw a face using the permanent marker onto the felt circle.
Glue the felt circle face onto the "tail" between the "arms" of the "X." This is the face.
Bend the top "arms" of the "X" down and cut approximately 2 inches off from each end.
Bend bottom "legs" of the "X" in a leg-type fashion and fold ends up approximately 1 inch to form feet.
Shape wing circles into lima bean shapes.
Cut a 5 inches square of tulle.
Place fairy body, face down, wings up. Using glue gun, outline one wing pipe cleaner with glue and press tulle over it. Repeat for second wing.
Trim tulle around wing pipe cleaner. Allow to dry.
Outline tulle wings with glitter glue. Allow to dry.
Take a 3 inches wide and 8 inches long rectangle of tulle and gather one of the 8 inches sides with needle and thread.
Position the gathered tulle skirt around the fairy waist and pull thread to fit. Sew around waist.
Tips and warnings
- Hair can be glued to felt face using yarn and glue gun. Satin roses and bows can be added to the tulle skirt and wings for embellishment. Other decorations can be added according to child's preference.
- Exercise extreme caution when using glue guns around children. Some glue guns reach extreme temperatures and can cause severe burns. Use caution with permanent markers as they do not come out of clothing or fabrics.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for