Daphne, a character from the Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. gang, is a highly recognisable animated cartoon character. Scooby-Doo started out as a Saturday morning cartoon show in 1969 and has evolved into a cultural phenomenon with several spin-off animated shows, animated movies and live-action movies. With little more than red hair and a purple dress, you can be Daphne this Halloween. Pay attention to a few key details, and everyone who sees you will greet you as Daphne. They might even ask about the rest of the gang: Shaggy, Fred, Velma and, of course, Scooby-Doo.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Purple long-sleeve minidress
- Light-green scarf
- Pink or lavender tights
- Low-heeled pumps
- Shoulder-length red wig
Start with research. Between Scooby-Doo books, movies and online images, it should not be difficult to find an image of Daphne. Note that in more recent years, Daphne's look has been expanded to include variations on her basic purple dress. To carry off the costume, stick to the original Daphne ensemble from the classic TV episodes. Note the details of her outfit, including the purple long-sleeve minidress, the light-green scarf, the pink or lavender pantyhose, the shoulder-length light-red hair and the low-heeled pumps.
Build your Daphne costume around her purple long-sleeve minidress. The colour of the dress should be bright and vibrant. Daphne is usually depicted in a dress with a slightly flared skirt. Check thrift stores, discount stores and online for best selection and price. Do your best to match the colour and details of Daphne's dress, but if you find a great dress that is not an exact match, it will work fine.
Get a light-green scarf or ascot to tie around your neck for that jaunty Daphne look. A lightweight fabric would work best for the outfit. Bring your purple dress while you shop for the scarf. Try to find a scarf colour that works with the dress.
Find a pair of pink or lavender tights. It might be necessary to shop at a department store, lingerie shop or online as drugstores and convenience stores carry only the basic shades.
Get a pair of low-heeled pumps in purple, pink or lavender. A white pair of shoes could be painted or dyed. As per your preference, flats or high heels might also be worn without detracting from the Daphne look.
Daphne has shoulder-length light-red hair. Sometimes this shade is referred to as strawberry blond. Note that Daphne has a wave in her hair, a full-bodied look. If you do not have hair of this length and shade, you will need a wig. Many beauty supply shops carry wigs, and some towns have wig shops. Wigs are available online but the prices tend to be higher.
Tips and warnings
- The classic Scooby-Doo episodes feature Daphne in a purple dress with a lighter purple sash around her hips below the waist. Add a sash of material in a lighter shade to accessorise your outfit. Bring your Daphne dress to a fabric store and get some purple fabric in a lighter shade. A sash of the fabric can be sewn, safety pinned or tied around the hips to complete the Daphne look.
- In the classic Scooby-Doo episodes, Daphne is often depicted with a pink headband in her hair.
- Rent several Scooby-Doo movies or episodes to watch and become familiar with Daphne's character. Try staying in character as Daphne for Halloween.
- This could be easily be an expensive costume. Try shopping at charity shops and discount stores.