Although many men have no problem growing a beard or moustache, there are many others who struggle to grow facial hair. Luckily, there are strategies that can be performed to help increase facial hair growth. Some of these, such as ageing, happen naturally. Others are a bit less natural, such as using medicinal creams or medications, but they might still prove effective. It is important to determine your own facial hair goals before deciding which steps you want to take.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hair loss shampoo
- Olive, bayberry and sesame oil
- Adjustable facial hair trimmer
Talk to the men in your family about when they began to grow facial hair because facial hair development is largely based on genetics. If your father was able to grow a full beard at 17, for example, you likely will follow in his footsteps. Wait before taking further action if your family members also developed facial hair at a later age.
Wash your beard area with medicated shampoos that are formulated to decrease hair loss in balding men. Use products that are gentle to the skin to avoid the irritation and swelling that can slow hair growth. Apply olive, bayberry and sesame oils to your beard area to help create an optimal environment for facial hair. However, use of these products for facial hair growth has never been scientifically proven nor FDA-approved.
Consult with your doctor about the benefits of taking such over-the-counter herbs as biotin and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), which can help increase facial hair growth when taken regularly. Follow a professional's advice when using these supplements, as they might undesirably alter your hormone levels.
Ask your doctor about a drug called minoxidil, which is found in many hair-growth creams available both over the counter and by prescription. Although minoxidil has shown proven results in increasing head hair growth, it has never been approved for use on the face.
Talk to your doctor about finasteride, a prescription drug that might help increase facial hair growth. Finasteride increases your testosterone levels, thereby creating the potential for increased facial hair growth. Listen to your doctor's advice about the benefits and side effects of using such drugs to help increase hair growth on your face.
Tips and warnings
- Use an adjustable facial hair trimmer while trying to grow out your beard or moustache to give your facial hair a more even, neat-looking length. As your facial hair grows longer, continue resetting the trimmer's cutting length to accommodate the longer hair.
- Because they can alter hormone levels and sometimes negatively impact your health, herbal hair-growth supplements should be used with caution. Always consult with your physician before attempting to try these products, which might not be FDA-approved.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for