Pillows filled with lavender and rose add a wonderful calming effect to any room in your home. Lavender and rose are common scents used in aromatherapy, and they are known for helping ease insomnia and lessen stress. These pillows are a cinch to make and cost a fraction of the price of ready-made pillows. They can be used to scent a lingerie drawer or to sleep on, and they make a beautiful gift for someone special in your life. If you grow lavender and rose bushes, you can dry your own to use in the pillows. Although this article will focus on a larger pillow used to sleep on or decorate a room with, you can make the pillow any size you wish, depending on the use of the pillow.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dried lavender
- Dried rose
- Sewing needle
Cut two squares of fabric 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inches. The best way to cut your fabric is to lay the two pieces together and cut at once; this ensures that the pieces will be the exact same size. Any type of fabric will work for the pillow. Suggested types: flannel, cotton or taffeta for a touch of elegance.
Lay the two pieces of cut fabric right sides together. Sew around the edges of the pillow using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving an opening in one side that is about 3 to 4 inches long. Turn the fabric right side out through this opening, making sure that all of the corners of the pillow are pushed out and square.
Stuff the pillow with equal amounts of dried lavender and rose. Do not overstuff the pillow; the pillow should be slightly rounded or somewhat flat, depending on the look you desire.
Turn under the raw edges of the opening about 1/4 inch; pin together. Hand sew the edges together.
Sew or hot glue a small ribbon bow or some small silk flowers to the outside of the pillow for decoration if desired.
Tips and warnings
- Use old handkerchiefs to make the pillows.
- Add some flax seed to the pillow along with the lavender and rose; the pillow can then be heated in the microwave for approximately 1 minute, creating a warm and soothing pillow for the neck or back.
- Add drops of essential oils with the dried flowers before sewing the pillow closed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for