How to Care for Flowers in OASIS
A floral arrangement anchored in floral foam can stay vivid and beautiful for days with the proper care. OASIS floral foam retains water and keeps the stems of the flowers hydrated while in the arrangement.
Cut flowers need fresh and plentiful water to stay fresh and vibrant; the key to long-lasting flowers in a floral arrangement is to make sure the foam stays moist. Keep your cut flowers attractive for as long as possible with the right care.
- A floral arrangement anchored in floral foam can stay vivid and beautiful for days with the proper care.
- Cut flowers need fresh and plentiful water to stay fresh and vibrant; the key to long-lasting flowers in a floral arrangement is to make sure the foam stays moist.
Keep the floral arrangement in a location without direct sunlight and away from extreme heat or cold. Do not place the arrangement near a draughty door or near a source of heat for best results. According to the University of California, the cooler the room temperature, the longer your floral arrangement will last -- most cut flowers can withstand temperatures down to 00 degrees Celsius without damage.
Touch the OASIS floral foam every day with your finger to check the moisture level. When you push the foam gently with the tip of your finger, it should give slightly and you should feel moisture.
Lift the OASIS floral foam and the flowers out of the container if it does not feel moist when you touch it. Place the foam and flowers in the sink under the faucet and run a gentle stream of water down onto them. Continue hydrating the foam for about one to two minutes until it feels saturated again.
- Touch the OASIS floral foam every day with your finger to check the moisture level.
- Lift the OASIS floral foam and the flowers out of the container if it does not feel moist when you touch it.
Leave the OASIS floral foam and the flowers in the sink to drain for about 30 minutes.
Return the arrangement to its container after the OASIS floral foam drains sufficiently.
Continue to monitor the foam's moisture daily and repeat the rehydrating process when it feels dry.
Remove spent flowers from the arrangement as they wilt and discard them. This will keep your arrangement looking attractive for as long as possible.
- Some arrangements may have a tiny notch in the side for hydrating the OASIS floral foam. If your arrangement has this feature, insert the tip of a watering can into this notch and carefully pour water into the arrangement to hydrate.
- Never reuse old OASIS floral foam because it may contain microorganisms that will harm new cut flowers. Discard all of the flowers and the foam when the arrangement is spent.
Kathryn Hatter is a veteran home-school educator, as well as an accomplished gardener, quilter, crocheter, cook, decorator and digital graphics creator. As a regular contributor to Natural News, many of Hatter's Internet publications focus on natural health and parenting. Hatter has also had publication on home improvement websites such as Redbeacon.