Visit your local party supply store and the odds are good that you'll be shocked by many of the prices. Even small gift bags sell for a few dollars and easily cost the same as a role of wrapping paper. Larger bags reach higher prices and the cost doesn't even include the tissue paper and a name card. Making your own gift bags at home costs much less and takes only a few minutes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wrapping paper
- Glue stick
- Hole punch
Unroll a piece of wrapping paper and lay the image side down on your table. The blank or plain side of the paper should face up.
Open up your box, unfolding the sides. Place the box on top of the wrapping paper and use it as your template. Add 2 inches to the top and bottom of the box, to compensate for folding over the edges of the bag. Trace around the edges of the box, plus 2 inches, and then cut the template from the wrapping paper.
Set the bottom of the box in the centre of your template and fold up on the paper around all edges. This creates the bottom of your gift bag. Remove the box from the paper. Press the corners of the paper in slightly, to make the sides of the gift bag.
Tuck the top edges of the paper into the bag, on all four sides. Pull the paper up and run a glue stick along this flap. The glue keeps the paper from coming undone and hides any jagged edges or imperfections caused when cutting the paper.
Punch two holes in the longer top edge of the bag. Repeat on the other side.
Thread a ribbon through the two holes on one side and tie off the ends, trimming if necessary. Repeat on the other side to create the carrying handles for your gift bag.
Tips and warnings
- Place a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the bag to give your gift a firm place to sit and to add some strength to your gift bag.
- Use any type of paper that's large enough for your gift bag. Rolls of wrapping paper are large enough to make multiple bags, depending on the size.
- Instead of ribbon for your handles, use raffia or rope for a more natural look.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for