The essence of punk is DIY, so when making a punk rock birthday cake, eschew the premade decorations and dive right in.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- White frosting
- Food Coloring
- Frosting gun or decorating bag and tips
Choose a theme. If the recipient of the cake has a favourite band, you can adapt the band's logo to make an appropriate design. For example, for someone with the initials D.K., you could incorporate the Dead Kennedys' logo.
Sketch your design on paper before you begin. This will help you with proper spacing on the cake and remind you of the details if your design is complicated, like the Ramones' eagle.
Mix the frosting with food colouring to get the colours you need. You can buy black food colouring in the supermarket. Red is tricky to make; red food colouring actually tints frosting pink, so add red gel. (For more about red frosting, see Andrea Meyer's recipes, below.) Neon colours are also readily available in the supermarket, if you need acid green for the Misfits skull, for example.
Frost the cake smoothly with a solid background colour.
Pipe out your design with a frosting gun or pastry bag in the colours you mixed. Refer to your sketch as necessary.
Tips and warnings
- If your decorating skills are rudimentary, choose song lyrics or a catchphrase, and use decorating gel in a tube.
- If you need to add spikes to your cake, try cutting down sugar cones to the desired height; frost them in the colour of your choice, and add them (gently) to the top of your cake.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for