Long, thick eyelashes have always been a universal symbol of attractiveness for both genders. Historically, people have sought ways to increase their personal appeal by accentuating their eyes using various means. This is particularly true of women. People naturally lose three to five eyelashes per day, which are almost immediately replaced by new ones. It can sometimes take anywhere from four to eight weeks to replace an eyelash that was lost due to accident or trauma. Try these suggestions to see which method works for you.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Nutritional supplements of your choice
- Natural oils (olive, castor, vitamin E oil, etc.)
- Eyelash stimulator products (optional)
- Healthy diet
Take supplements. The same vitamins and minerals that can encourage healthy hair will also encourage eyelash growth. These are vitamins C, E, various B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, sulphur and beta-carotene.
Eat healthy. Getting a wide range of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) can naturally stimulate your body to create more keratin. Keratin is the primary component of hair, skin, and nails. Drinking protein shakes, eating lean protein-rich foods, including legumes, and soy will also help. Junk food and fast food will actually deplete your body of nutrients during digestion that would otherwise be available for building healthy hair, eyelashes, skin and fingernails.
Include healthy fats in your meals. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are essential to the growth of hair, including eyelashes. Add flax seed meal or ground flax seeds to soups and stews. Use extra virgin olive oil in recipes. Try to include omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 in your diet. Hint: Acai Berries contain all three types of omega fats.
Lubricate your lashes before bed. There has been somewhat of a buzz on the Internet blogs that applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly, castor oil, or olive oil to your eyelashes after you wash your face at night will encourage growth. Apparently, sometimes eyelashes can become dry, brittle, and break off short just like the hairs on your head. By lubricating moist lashes overnight, you rehydrate them and interrupt the breakage cycle.
Try a product specifically designed to lengthen your eyelashes. The most positive reviews seem to be for “LiLash.” Keep in mind that these products are rather costly. You might want to try other natural methods first for eight weeks to see if you actually need to buy a commercial product.
Tips and warnings
- Before using any retail product on your eyes, be sure that you are not allergic to any ingredient, and that the product has been thoroughly tested, inspected, and approved for safe use. Remember that even a safe product can be harmful if it isn't used exactly as directed by the manufacturer. Follow all directions very closely! If you suffer any adverse effects, see a physician immediately.
- The degree to which these will work will depend at least in part on your genetics.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for