How to Apply Eyeliner on the Top & Bottom Lid & Make it Stay
Using eyeliner helps to make your eyes look larger, but one complaint most women have is that eyeliners have a tendency to smudge and fade. Part of the answer to that problem is learning to apply the different types of eyeliner that are available on the market so they stay where you put them.
With practice and by following a few simple guidelines, you can master the art of applying your eyeliner to ensure a long-lasting effect that shapes and enhances your eyes.
Clean your eyelids thoroughly with the cleansing pads to remove all grease and oil that may have accumulated on your eyelids.
Apply the eyelid primer using the applicator supplied by the manufacturer. Start at the root of the lashes on the top lid and work your way up toward the crease of the eye. Apply eyelid primer to the area around the bottom eyelashes, starting near the root of the lashes on the bottom lid and working your way down. Smooth over any lines or wrinkles that appear after applying the primer. Allow the primer to dry according the manufacturer's instructions.
Draw a line from the outer corner on the very edge of the lower lid, staying as close to the roots of the lashes as possible, toward the inner corner of the eye, using the eyeliner pencil. Use a small make-up brush to dab a little translucent powder over the line you drew.
Draw a line from the inner corner of the eye on the very edge of the top lid, staying as close to the roots of the lashes as possible, toward the outer corner of the eye, using the eyeliner pencil. Apply a small amount of translucent powder over the line you drew.
- You can find eyelid primer and translucent powder at beauty supply stores.
- Some women prefer to apply the eyelid primer by using their middle finger instead of the applicator supplied by the manufacturer.
- Choose an eyeliner pencil that glides easily. If your eyeliner pencil doesn't glide easily, hold it under a blow dryer for 10 seconds to soften the tip before application.
- Place eyeliner pencils in the freezer for 30 minutes before sharpening them with an eyeliner sharpener. Sharper eyeliner tips create crisper lines.
- Some women prefer to place their middle finger on the outer corner of their eye to pull the lids taut while they draw the lines on their lids.
- Draw a line with the liquid eyeliner applicator over the top of the pencilled eyeliner before you apply the translucent powder for a more dramatic look. Allow the liquid eyeliner to dry completely before blinking your eye. Apply a small amount of translucent powder over the liquid eyeliner to set it after it dries so the liner will stay in place longer.