The Joker is one of Batman's most evil villains brought to life in movies and made popular in the Batman comic book series. The late actor Heath Ledger won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of the Joker in the movie "The Dark Knight." His costume was brilliantly matched with his incredible acting. Creating your very own Joker costume is both fun and easy.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Purple blazer
- Blue shirt
- Black or purple trousers
- Black shoes
- Face make-up
- Hair gel
- Leather gloves
- Crazy-coloured socks
Select a cotton blue dress shirt. The Joker dresses very professionally, especially for someone with such sinister plans.
Put on a black or green tie. Cover the blue dress shirt with a green vest. Select a bright grass-green colour that coordinates with the tie.
Add black trousers, crazy-coloured socks and black dress shoes. If you prefer to go even wilder, you can opt for purple trousers.
Complete the outfit with a purple blazer. Shop second-hand or vintage stores for a bright purple colour. The coat can be long and have tails or you can opt for a shorter jacket.
Spike your hair using gel. The Joker is known for his wild antics and hair, so the crazier the hair, the more you will look like the Joker.
This step is optional but it really makes a big difference for authenticity sake. In the actual movie, the Joker had massive scars around his mouth, lips and chin. Apply a prosthetic moth and chin or build up the scars using special costume make-up before applying the face paint.
Cover your entire face in white face make-up. The coverage can be spotty, almost looking as if part of the paint has worn off. Take a bright red lipstick and cover the lips and a large section around the lips. Take part of the red make-up and run it up along the sides of the face over the cheeks along the scar lines.
Finish out the look by using dark black make-up and lining the eyes in thick black strokes all the way around the lid. Add mascara to the lashes. The make-up should give the appearance that the eyes are sunken into the head. Complete the look by drinking a red-coloured beverage that will temporarily stain the tongue and teeth red.
Finalise your outfit with purple or black leather gloves. A true villain can't be too careful and doesn't want to leave behind any fingerprints, so don't forget this finishing touch.
Tips and warnings
- To achieve the Joker make-up look, you may want to apply your make-up in stages, alternating between a heavy layer and then wiping a bit of make-up off with a paper towel. Repeat the process starting first with white make-up, then red and finally black. The messier and more uneven the make-up, the better.
- While the Joker is a wonderful costume, especially for Halloween, please remember that the costume when completed correctly can end up looking quite scary. Be mindful of your appearance, especially around small children, who will likely find nothing funny about the Joker.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for