The French braid headband is a modern twist on the traditional French braid. Instead of working the braid vertically down the back of the head, from the crown to the nape, hair is braided horizontally along the front hairline. An incredibly versatile look that suits long or short styles, braided fringe can accessorise virtually any updo or loose hairstyle, while keeping unruly hair in check. Your French braid headband can be tidy and sleek, or messy and edgy, depending on the occasion.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Tail comb
- Hair band or sectioning clip
- Hair grips
Create a side part in your hair using a tail comb.
Separate a rectangular front panel of hair approximately 2-inches wide, running from the side part (where your French braid will begin), across the front hairline and down toward the opposite ear.
Comb the panel of hair diagonally across your forehead, away from the side part, in the direction you will be working the braid. Clip or tie the rest of hair out of the way.
Take a small section of hair from the front panel next to the part. Divide this section into three even strands.
Begin braiding your hair by bringing alternating outer strands over the middle strand as you would for a traditional braid. Every time you bring the strand closest to the back of your head over the middle strand, grab a slice of loose hair from the panel and combine this with the strand.
Continue to braid the hair in this way, working across the front hairline, away from the part, until you have incorporated all of the front panel into the braid.
Secure the end of the braid just above or behind your ear with hair grips.
Style the rest of your hair as desired.
Tips and warnings
- Apply styling moose, spray or serum to your hair before working this style for easier manageability and staying power.
- Don't pull the hair too tight while braiding to avoid straining and breaking the hair.
- Depending on the length of your hair, you can incorporate the braid into a ponytail, twist or topknot, or simply pin behind your ear and wear your hair loose.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for