Unflavored gelatin enables you to thicken a variety of liquids effectively. Because unflavored gelatin contains no flavours and colours, it makes an ideal ingredient to increase the firmness in some recipes. When you prepare desserts with yoghurt, for example, you may want a thicker consistency. Achieve the firm texture you desire by mixing yoghurt with unflavored gelatin. Measure carefully to ensure that you do not make the yoghurt too stiff.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Liquid (juice, milk or water)
Measure 1/2 cup of liquid for each envelope of unflavored gelatin you will use. Use one envelope of unflavored gelatin for 1/2 cup of liquid and 1 1/2 cups of yoghurt.
Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin granules over the liquid and allow the gelatin to soften in the liquid for about five minutes.
Place the saucepan on the hob and set the burner to medium. Heat the liquid for between five and 10 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove the liquid when it simmers but before it boils. Boiling will reduce the effectiveness of the gelatin.
Cool the liquid and gelatin until it cools down to room temperature.
Stir the liquid and gelatin into the yoghurt and mix the ingredients completely. Add any other ingredients to the yoghurt, and then place the mixture into the refrigerator to chill it. While the mixture chills, the gelatin will make the yoghurt firm.
Tips and warnings
- If your recipe calls for sugar, mix the sugar with the gelatin before adding it to the liquid. Sugar may reduce the firmness from the gelatin.
- One envelope of unflavored gelatin contains 2 1/2 tsp of granules.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for