How to travel with minor children

Written by ryan fergerson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to travel with minor children
(Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images)

If you are a single parent, grandparent, relative or family friend taking a minor on vacation, you'll need the child's birth certificate or valid passport and a letter of consent stating the details of your travel. For a hassle-free trip, there are online resources providing standard consent forms and instructions for crafting a simple letter-style consent document. If you are divorced or a widow -- especially if the last names of you and the child are different -- it is wise to carry a copy of the divorce decree or certificate of death.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Child's birth certificate or passport
  • Notarised consent form

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Obtain the child's birth certificate or valid passport. Fill out a consent form or similar letter-style document for travelling with a minor. Include as many details about the trip as possible, and mention any of the child's medical allergies or conditions.

  2. 2

    Bring all documents to an authorised notary for an official seal and signature.

  3. 3

    Take all documentation with you and the child to the airport, including passport or birth certificate, consent form and any applicable divorce decrees or death certificates.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.