We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to replace a lost NHS medical card

Updated April 07, 2017

The NHS medical card is used to identify those who are registered with a general practitioner (GP) and who are entitled to use the benefits of the National Health Service in the United Kingdom. If a card is lost, it should be replaced immediately, as it may delay medical treatments such as GP appointments. Replacing a lost NHS medical card is done by contacting either the GP you are registered with or the local health authority that covers your area.

Loading ...
  1. Contact the GP whom you are registered with to apply for another card. His office will provide you with Form GMS1, the family doctor services registration form.

  2. Fill out form GMS1. This form contains information about current and prior addresses and donor registration and certifies that the doctor has accepted you as a patient. Return form GMS1 to your GP. A new card will be issued by the GP's office.

  3. If you are not registered with your GP or you live in an area where cards are only issued upon request, you will need to contact your local area trust. There are separate trusts for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Trust listings can be found on the trust website for your country (see below in Resources).

Loading ...

About the Author

Gwen Wark

Gwen Wark is a freelance writer working from London, Dublin, and New York. She has been a published writer since 1998 with works appearing in both university and local publications. Her current writing projects include SEO, web copy, print and advertising features. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in history from Rutgers University.

Loading ...
Loading ...