When a key breaks inside the lock you will need to disassemble the lock and use an object to push the broken key out of the lock. As long as you remove the broken key correctly you will not damage the lock. This will not be difficult to complete and will save you money compared to buying a new lock.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Flat head screwdriver
Remove the screws that secure the door lock to the door frame using the Phillips head screwdriver. Pull the door lock from the door and lay the mechanism on a flat surface.
Look inside the lock where the broken key is. Look in the opposite end that you insert the key into.
Push the broken key out of the key hole using the flat head screwdriver. Once the key has come out of the key hole enough to grab it, pull the key from the lock using your fingers or a pair of needlenose pliers.
Tips and warnings
- If the key hole is too small to fit a flat head screwdriver into, use a paper clip to push the key out of the lock.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for