The Nokia N96 is a Symbian smartphone loaded with the S60 user interface. The N96 can store a variety of personal information in the phone's memory, including contacts, call history, text messages and e-mails. To completely restore your N96 to its factory state and clear all of your personal information off of the phone, you can perform a soft format on your N96 by dialling a special code or a hard format by holding down a combination of keys.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Turn your Nokia N96 off.
Slide out your N96's keypad. Hold down the green "Send" key, the "*" key and the "3" key and press the "Power" button on the top of the phone.
Release the "Send" key, the "*" key and the "3" key when your N96 turns on and displays "Formatting." Data and settings stored in your N96 will be cleared and the phone will restart.
Performing a Hard Format
Dial "*#7370#" on your Nokia N96's keypad.
Click "Yes" to confirm that you wish to restore your phone's default settings.
Enter your five-digit lock code on the keypad. The default lock code for the N96 is "12345." Once the code is entered, your phone will restart and its memory will be formatted.
Performing a Soft Format
Tips and warnings
- Do not remove the battery from your N96 while formatting the phone.
- Formatting your N96 cannot be undone. Back up all of the important information on your phone before clearing the phone's memory.
- Novice users should avoid attempting to format your N96. The hard format option is not officially supported or documented by Nokia, and errors caused by formatting your device may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for