Glass bottles can be reused in a number of different ways. You can use a wine bottle to make a lamp or you can string several bottles together to make a glass bottle wind chime. You may need to make a hole in the glass bottles for such projects. The hardest thing about making a hole in a glass bottle is to do it without breaking the bottle. But with the right tools and know-how, you'll be creating amazing bottle art in no time at all.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Diamond drill
- Diamond drill bit sized for desired hole size
- Duct tape
- Craft knife
- Cigarette lighter
- Small tub or sink full of very cold water
Put duct tape on the part of the bottle where you want to drill a hole. For example, if you want to drill a hole in the bottom of the bottle, cover the bottom of the bottle with duct tape.
Cut a circular shape from the duct tape with the craft knife on the bottle in the location where you want the hole. Make it approximately the size that you want the hole.
Drill the bottle with the diamond drill in the small circle where you've cut the tape away. Use a low speed and light pressure.
Cover the part of the bottle with duct tape where you want the hole to be.
Cut a circular shape from the duct tape with the craft knife on the bottle in the location where you want the hole. The hole you cut in the tape should be the size that you want the hole in the bottle to be.
Wet the tape with water around the area where you've cut the hole.
Heat the bottle in the area where the hole will be using the lighter. Allow the bottle to get extremely hot.
Submerge the hot bottle immediately in cold water. The glass should break out in the area you cut the tape from.
Tips and warnings
- When using the drilling method to make a hole in a glass bottle, it is helpful to use drilling oil or even water to keep the glass from getting too hot from the friction of the drill. If the glass gets too hot, it can easily break.
- Be patient when drilling glass. If you get in a hurry and press too hard, the bottle may shatter.
- When using the heat method, keep a bowl of water handy so that you can re-wet the tape if needed as well as use it to dip your fingers in if they become too hot while you heat the glass.
- If the glass doesn't break out entirely after placing the heated bottle in cold water, you can finish of the hole and smooth it out using a small file.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for