Most have heard stories of Genies trapped in bottles or lamps for thousands of years. They are released by some hapless wanderer who is granted a wish or three. Unfortunately, the wish usually has some mischievous or sinister consequence that leaves the wanderer worse off than when he started. But to most baby-boomers the word "genie" conjures up images of the beautiful Barbara Eden from the popular '60s television series "I Dream of Jeannie."
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baggy satin pajama trousers
- Short sleeve satin pajama top
- 2 feet elastic - 1/2 inch wide
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Long rectangular scarf
- Thick decorative ponytail holder
- Shear square scarf
- Two hair pins
- Bikini top
- 4 yards braided decorative trim
Cut the elastic in half and sew each piece inside the bottom edge of each trousers leg.
Remove the buttons from the pajama top.
Cut the bottom edge of the pajama top to just above the navel and hem to prevent fraying.
Fold the collar to the inside of the top and stitch it down.
Sew trim up the side of the top covering the button holes, around the neck and down the other side. Sew trim around the edges of the sleeves and hemline. Wear this over the bikini top.
Wear the trousers low on the hips. Wrap the long rectangular scarf around the waistband of the trousers, tie and tuck the scarf ends into the waistband.
Put your hair up in a high ponytail with the ponytail holder.
Hold the shear scarf by the top two corners. Pin one corner into the ponytail holder on the right with a hairpin. Drape it under your chin and pin the other corner into the ponytail holder on the left with a hairpin.
Wear with matching slippers.
Tips and warnings
- If you are not good with a sewing machine or needle and thread and you don't anticipate a lot of wear and tear on the costume you can use fabric glue to add your trim.
- For a man's genie costume, substitute the top for a vest and the ponytail and veil for a turban or fez.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for