Children and adults alike enjoy the feelings of whimsy that are brought about when lounging on pillows shaped like animals. Because the natural shape of a fish is flat and wide, this animal shape is well suited for pillows. Although fish-shaped pillows can sometimes be found for sale at speciality shops, they can be made easily and inexpensively at home. Your homemade fish pillow can be constructed from your choice of fabrics and sizes and are an ideal accessory for a room decorated in an ocean or aquarium theme.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Newspaper or butcher paper
- Sewing pins
- Sewing machine
- Pillow stuffing
- Hot glue gun
- 2 wiggly eyes
Draw a basic fish shape onto your newspaper or butcher paper. Cut the shape from the paper.
Lay your fabric on the floor, face down, and flatten out any wrinkles. Place your fish pattern on top of the fabric. Pin the pattern in place and cut the shape out of the fabric, following the lines of the pattern. Pull the pins away to separate your pattern from the fabric.
Repeat step two to create another fish-shaped piece of fabric.
Place one of your fish shapes on the floor, face up. Then place your second fish shape, face down, on top of the first one. Make sure the edges are lined up as much as possible. Pin the edges together.
Sew around the pinned edges of the fish shapes, leaving about 4 inches open, which will be used later when you add your stuffing.
Turn the fish pillow inside out through the opening. Fill your fish with the stuffing.
Fold the raw edges of the fabric opening into the pillow, right sides together. Pinch both sides of the folded fabric together and pin into place. Then sew along the pins, finishing the seam.
Spread a small amount of hot glue onto your wiggly eye. Immediately place the eye onto your fish pillow in the approximate natural location of a fish's eye. Repeat this step, if desired, to place an eye on the opposite side of your fish pillow.
Tips and warnings
- If desired, you can hot glue the fish pillow together, rather than sewing it. Keep in mind, though, that your pillow may not be as strong as if it were sewn together.
- It is best to add more stuffing than you think you need. A slightly overstuffed pillow eventually condenses down.
- To create a more realistic fish shape, cut two fin shapes out of your fabric with pinking shears. Hot glue or sew the fin shapes to the top and bottom of your fish pillow.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for