A treadmill motor is a vital component of your exercise machine. If a motor begins to malfunction or fails completely, it needs to be repaired or replaced. It is important to check the motor carriage to determine the exact cause of a malfunction. Something as simple as dust may cause problems for the motor. Conducting at-home repairs on your treadmill's motor operation is simple.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Treadmill user manual
- Clean cloth
- Replacement fuse(s)
Ensure that the treadmill's power cord is plugged into a live electrical socket. If so, use another appliance in the outlet to confirm that the outlet works. Check the cord for damage. Turn the treadmill on and wait for it to start up. If you notice a problem with the device starting up, other than an apparent motor problem, consult the user's manual.
Unplug the treadmill. Take the hub off the unit, if applicable. The hub may simply pop off, or it may need to be removed with a screwdriver. It is located at the front of the machine. Consult the treadmill user manual for this information specific to your model. Verify that all wires on the motor are properly connected. Use a clean cloth to brush away any dirt or dust that has gathered around the motor.
Check the circuit board connected to the motor. Sometimes a malfunctioning circuit board will make the entire treadmill act unusual not start up. Look at the fuses next to the motor to see if they are blown. A blown fuse will usually be black or brown in colour. Replace any faulty fuses.
Plug the treadmill back in. If the unit still does not start properly, the circuit board or motor may need to be replaced. Contact a repair person or the manufacturer for further directions.
Tips and warnings
- Check your home circuit breakers if the outlet is not working properly. Sometimes plugging in a large electrical user, such as a treadmill, will cause a breaker to trip.
- Order a replacement fuse from the manufacturer or purchase one from a fitness retailer. Use a fuse designated for your treadmill only.
- Only repair the treadmill if you know what you are doing. Ensure that all electrical components are unplugged before making any repairs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for