If you purchased a paper mache hat box from a crafts store or want to cover an old one, use adhesive shelf liner in a colour and style to match your preferences. Purchase adhesive shelf liner with a design such as striped, floral, simulated marble or woodgrain or just a simple solid colour. Fill your covered hat box with a variety of items such as photographs, sewing supplies, cards, letters or any other bits you wish to store.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Tape measure
- Roll of adhesive shelf liner
Measure from the bottom of the hat box to the rim. Measure around the hat box.
Cut a strip of adhesive shelf liner to fit the measurements. Peel off the adhesive liner backing.
Place the hat box on its side. Apply the strip of shelf liner to the side of the box, slowly rolling the hat box until the exterior is covered.
Cover the Box
Lay the hat box lid on the papered side of the shelf liner. Instructions for "Luxe Pink and Black Hat Box" on the Celebration craft site advise tracing the lid with a 1/2-inch margin around the edge. Cut out the adhesive paper circle.
Peel off the adhesive liner backing. Slowly drop the adhesive circle onto the lid, leaving the margin overhanging on all sides. Fold down the margin, according the Celebrations.
Measure from the edge of the lid to the bottom of the lip. Measure around the lid's lip. Cut a strip of adhesive shelf liner to fit the measurements.
Lay the lid on its side. Apply the strip of adhesive liner around the lip, slowly rolling the lid until the sides are covered.
Cover the Lid
Tips and warnings
- If your adhesive covering has any air bubbles, use a sharp pin to deflate them. According to RG Graphix, poking a hole in the edge of the bubble then pressing the air through the pinhole is an effective method of removing bubbles.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for