If you are constructing your own wedding cake and are not a professional, consider using fabric lace on your wedding cake for an elegant yet easy-to-make showstopper. Applying starched lace to your wedding cake is quick, easy and extremely cost effective. Prep your lace about a week ahead of time and apply the night before the ceremony. Your lace will hold up beautifully and elicit a "wow" from your guests. Best of all, the lace can be easily kept beautiful indefinitely for a meaningful and lasting souvenir of your special day.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fabric lace
- Heavy spray starch
- Cake pans
- Waxed Paper
Choose your piece of lace. It can be heirloom or from a loved one's wedding dress, or any kind of lace that catches your fancy. Lay out the newspaper on a flat work surface. Take the correct size of the cake pans in which the cake will be baked and turn them on their side on top of the newspaper, securing them in position by placing a pencil on either side.
Place a piece of waxed paper that has been trimmed to fit the side of the cake pan and adhere with tape. Drape your lace over this section.
Use spray starch to spray down your lace. Allow to set and then repeat. The lace should become increasingly stiff with each pass.
Allow the lace to dry overnight. Remove from the side of the pan and store in a safe place. Once the cake is assembled, place the lace on the corresponding layer, which should fit perfectly.
Soak the lace in water to remove the starch, washing it gently. This will allow you to paste the lace into a wedding album or scrapbook.
Tips and warnings
- If you are choosing a particularly tall piece of lace and the pans are not wide enough, use a cheesecake pan instead or utilise a steel can that is the same size. A pot that is the same circumference will work nicely as well.
- Rnse the cap of your starch spray with every pass to keep it from being blocked. If it does become blocked, use the head of a pin to loosen the dried starch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for