Storing vegetables like potatoes and onions is a necessity for many kitchens. When potatoes and onions sit out where they are exposed to light, eventually they will start to sprout or rot. In a storage box, air is allowed in but light is not, allowing you to keep onions and potatoes nearby without them going bad. To build a potato and onion storage box, all you need are a few supplies and an hour.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 boards, 1-by-10-inch, 20-inches long
- 1 board, 1-by-12-inch, 20-inches long
- 1 piece 1-by-12-inch pegboard, 20-inches long
- 2 boards, 1-by-12-inch, 1-foot long (base, lid)
- 2 boards, 2-by-2-inch, 1-foot long
Stand your two 1-by-10, 20-inch boards upright, parallel to one another, spaced about 10 inches apart, to become the sides of the box. Place your 1-by-12, 20-inch board upright, perpendicular to the first two boards, to form the front of your box.
Align the side board edges flush on both sides of the front board. Screw through the front board and into the side boards every six inches. Place your pegboard upright along the back of the box. Align the edges of the pegboard with the side boards and use screws to attach.
Place a 1-by-12, one-foot board over top of the box. Align all four sides and screw down through the square top and into the sides to attach.
Lay your two 2-by-2 pieces over the top so they are parallel to one another and spaced about eight inches apart. Screw through the pieces and into the board below to attach every four inches.
Flip the storage box over and place it in an area of your kitchen or pantry that is convenient with the back of the box an inch away from a wall.
Place a folded sheet of newspaper in the bottom of the bin to catch dirt or onion skins. Set the remaining 1-by-12, one-foot board over the top of the bin to close.
Tips and warnings
- Paint or stain the outside of your box as desired to make it match the decor of your kitchen, but don't paint or stain the inside of the box.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for