Passports are documents that provide proof of identity and nationality, and are recognised around the world . In recent years it has become a necessity to carry a passport any time you are travelling out of your home country. If your passport is issued to you with any incorrect information it is important that you have this information corrected before travelling abroad. If your date of birth, which allows customs officials to determine how old you are, is incorrect, you can file for a date of birth change with the U.S. Department of State.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access
Visit the Passports section of the U.S. Department of State website at (see Resources), and select "Change or Correct Passport" from the menu on the left.
Review the list of types of corrections. Download Form DS-5504 from the fourth column in the first row. You may choose to fill out the form online and then print, or print the blank form and fill it out by hand.
Mail the completed form along with your original passport, two new passport photos if the passport is more than 90 days old, and evidence to support your birth date such as a birth certificate, to the address specified on Form DS-5504.
Tips and warnings
- Note that this process is free, unless you need to expedite the process. In this case it will cost the equivalent of £39 ($60).
- It is highly recommended that you mail your passport using a secure method of delivery, and purchase a tracking service to ensure arrival.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for