A deer-head mount allows the hunter to show off his success while adding a rustic touch to the room. Over time, the deer-head mount will begin to collect dust, dirt and -- if there is a smoker or fireplace in the home -- smoke residue. The build-up will cause the deer head to look old and dingy and to have an unpleasant odour. With proper cleaning and care, your deer-head mount will look its best for years to come.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vacuum with upholstery-brush attachment
- Lint-free cloths
- Spray bottle
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Linseed oil
- Small bowl
- Cotton swab
- Feather duster
Remove the deer-head mount from the wall.
Attach the upholstery brush to your vacuum. Turn on the vacuum and run the brush over the deer-head mount in the direction of the fur, removing surface debris.
Dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with cool water. Wipe the mount in the direction of the fur.
Fill a spray bottle with 1 cup rubbing alcohol and mist the fur lightly. Wipe the mount with a clean, lint-free cloth in the direction of the fur. Pat the fur dry with a clean, soft towel.
Dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with white vinegar and rub the antlers gently. Wipe the antlers dry with the towel.
Apply two to three drops of linseed oil to a clean, lint-free cloth and rub the antlers gently. Buff the antlers with the cloth to make them shine.
Fill a small bowl with rubbing alcohol. Dip the tip of a cotton swab into the rubbing alcohol. Rub the deer's eyes with the cotton swab in a gentle, circular motion. Continue rubbing until the eyes are clean and clear. Wipe the eyes clean with a clean, lint-free cloth.
Keep the deer-head mount out of direct sunlight. Direct sunlight will cause the fur and antlers to fade. Furthermore, the mount should be placed away from direct heat such as a fireplace and heaters.
Place the mount in an area of your home that is relatively bug-free. Bugs -- such as moths, beetles and dust mites -- will eat away at the mount and burrow into it.
Refrain from placing the mount in a basement or other damp location. The excess moisture will increase the chance of fungus growth -- such as mould and mildew -- on the mount.
Dust the mount regularly with a feather duster.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for