How to Change My Driver's License to My Married Name

Updated April 17, 2017

A driver's license in most states is considered proof of identity, on top of approval to drive. When a person gets married she has the option of taking her spouse's last name. To take a spouse's name and use it as an identifier, she must change her important documents, including her driver's license, to reflect her new married name. Each state has different requirements regarding changing your name on your driver's license.

Gather all documents that provide proof of identity. Documents that provide proof of identity are Social Security card, birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree or court order for a name change.

Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles to determine what documents you need to prove the name change. Documentation that reflects the name change, such as a certified marriage license or divorce decree may be needed to make changes to your current driver's license.

Fill out the application for a driver's license form and select the option to make a change. Each Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) has a different form number to use to change your name. An agent at the DMV can provide the form to you. Some states allow you to print the forms out online, but you will still need to visit the DMV. Some states may require a new picture to be taken for the new driver's license.

Pay the appropriate fees.

Collect your new driver's license with your married name at the DMV.


Always check with your local government on what is needed to make legal changes.

Things You'll Need

  • Social Security card
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

DionJonai Elzy started her professional writing career in 2007. Her areas of expertise are human resources, entrepreneurship, pop culture, and event management. She has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Monmouth University and a certificate in human resource management from the American Management Association.