Creating a map of your bedroom allows you to view the items that you have and to rearrange things on paper to see what might work for your room. It should include representations for all of the furniture in your room. It's important to draw your map to scale to represent an accurate view of the room. Drawing your map correctly can take time and precision, since you'll have to measure everything as accurately as possible.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Graphing paper
- Measuring tape
Measure the dimensions of your room with a measuring tape. This is the measurement along the wall. Most rooms are rectangular in shape, though your room may have a section of the wall that is either recessed or protruding. Make a note of where your windows and doors are as well. For doors, draw the curve of its path so that nothing is put in the path of it, and to orient the map of your bedroom.
Decide on the scale that you'll use. Graphing paper is full of tiny squares, but the size varies depending on the paper. You want your entire bedroom to take up most of the piece of paper. For example, you could decide that one square equals one inch or that one square equals one foot. On many graph papers, a useful scale is to use four squares as one square foot.
Outline the area of your bedroom on your graphing paper using the scale you determined. Most likely, you've drawn a rectangle, though you may have an oddly shaped room.
Measure your furniture and write the dimensions on a separate piece of paper. If a piece is oddly shaped, do your best to measure the width and length. Mark that on your paper as a plus sign, then freehand draw the shape of the object around the plus.
Add your bedroom furniture to your map. Measure around the wall, noting the placement of each piece of furniture and drawing it on the map based on your previous measurements. Label each piece with the name of the furniture, or draw enough detail to make it clear. Draw pillows on beds, for example.
Tips and warnings
- Use a pencil in case you make a mistake. Once you've done it correctly, you can draw over your pencil marks with a marker.
- If you want to rearrange the furniture in your room, don't add the furniture in your main map. Instead, use a second piece of graphing paper to draw the items and cut them out. You can then rearrange these to-scale images onto the to-scale drawing of your bedroom.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for