Hair extensions can instantly add celebrity-style glamour to your hair. Hair extensions are commonly applied to the natural hair by a glue bond or weave; however, clip-in extensions are becoming increasingly popular for their versatility and convenience, not to mention their lower price. There are two types of clip-in extensions: human hair and synthetic. It is important to note that only human hair extensions can be styled with heat. Synthetic extensions will not hold curl and will be damaged by heat styling.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 100 per cent human hair clip-in extensions
- Wide-tooth comb
- Heat protection spray (optional)
- Curling iron
- Hairspray (optional)
Ensure that your hair extensions are dry, then gently comb through them using a wide-tooth comb. Spray with a heat protection spray on both sides. Clip your extensions in your hair. If you need to curl your natural hair as well, do this before inserting the extensions.
Open your curling iron and place the ends of the extension inside. Close the handle so the hair is secure. Turn the curling iron continuously until all of the hair has been rolled. Stop just before the curling iron reaches the clip so as not to heat it up and burn the scalp. Hold for five seconds and release the curl.
Spray the curled extension with a light-hold hairspray immediately after the curl is released to hold the shape. Once the curl has cooled down, separate it gently with your fingers to give it some movement and blend it with your natural hair.
Tips and warnings
- Flat irons can be used to curl human hair extensions, starting from the root of the extension and working downwards.
- Hot rollers can be used to curl clip-in extensions before they are placed in the hair by wrapping the extension around the roller and letting it set for five minutes.
- Clip-in extensions can be washed and wrapped around foam rollers overnight to dry for a heat-free curling technique.
- Expose clip-in extensions to heat only when necessary to prolong their appearance.
- Never leave clip-in extensions near a heat source unattended.
- Do not curl synthetic extensions or ones that are composed of less than 100 per cent human hair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for