With the right tools, you transform a crate into almost any type of furniture you need for the home. If you are living on your own for the first time, are strapped for cash or just like quirky furniture, consider creating your own benches out of crates. The beauty of using crates to make a bench is that you can make it as tall or as short as you like and it is simple to assemble.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Milk crates, as many as you need for your desired bench length and height
- Thin to medium-thick zip ties that are long in length, 12 per crate
- Strong scissors or a wire cutter
Plan how you want your bench to look by laying the crates next to or on top of one another.
Use the zip ties to secure the crates to one another at their corners. For example, if you have two crates next to each other, place the end of a zip tie through an opening in the front, right side of the crate on the left. Then, bring the zip tie through an opening on the front left side of the crate next to it. Secure the zip tie around the two crates by threading the end of tie through the small hole at the end of it. Pull the length of zip tie through the hole to make sure it is wrapped snugly around the two crates.
Snip the excess lengths of the zip ties used on the crates with strong scissors or a pair of wire cutters. As you cut the zip ties, hold the end of the tie with your nondominant hand as you cut with the other. This will prevent the tie from shooting into the air (and possibly into your eye) as you cut it.
Tips and warnings
- You can purchase milk crates in the storage container section of some stores or online. You can also ask a supermarket if you can purchase its milk crates or have them free of charge.
- If you want shelves within your bench, have the opening of the crates face the back of the bench. However, if you want a strong bench, have the opening of the crates face down.
- Place thick cushions on top of the crate bench so they feel more comfortable.
- Make a bench for your yard and place weatherproof cushions on it.
- If the crates are not all the same colour, consider spray-painting them in a colour that matches your decor.
- If you do not like the look of the crates, you can cover them in a fabric that matches your home.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for