Australian duster coats are typically made from oilskin, which is also known as waxed cotton. Oilskin is a durable fabric resistant to water and wind with the breathability of cotton. As with any other fabric, if not cared for and stored properly, your Australian duster coat could develop a mildew or musty smell. Removing the mildew smell from the duster coat can be difficult. You cannot simply toss the coat into the washing machine; you have to remove the odour by hand.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 sponges
- Small container
- Tea tree oil
Saturate a sponge in cool water and spot clean the Australian duster coat. Gently wipe any dirt or other debris from the coat.
Pour 2 cups of water in a small container, add 2 tsps. of tea tree oil and mix thoroughly.
Saturate a sponge in the mixture and wring out the excess liquid.
Lay the Australian duster coat out fla and wipe it with the sponge. The tea tree oil will naturally kill mould and mildew and remove musty odours.
Allow the coat to air dry, out of direct sunlight.
Tips and warnings
- Do not machine wash or dry clean the coat or place it in a clothes dryer.
- Perform regular cleaning by hosing the coat down and hanging it to dry.
- Never store your Australian duster coat when it is damp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for