Crafty people have fun and take pride in creating their own wedding favours. These small thank-you gifts for wedding attendees are quick and easy to make and are great for those putting together a wedding on short notice or a tight budget. Anything is possible with a little time and creativity, but the most traditional do-it-yourself wedding favour project is bonbonnieres, small, round packets of edible treats. Traditional bonbonnieres are made with sugared almonds.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Round template
- Fabric pencil
- Blank business cards
- Small rubber bands
- Sugared almonds, jelly beans or other small candies
Use a round template to draw circles on the tulle with the fabric pencil. Make sure the circles are large enough to be turned into small packets. A diameter of 9 inches is ideal. Cut the number of circles needed for the number of wedding guests.
Cut 2- to 3-inch lengths of ribbon.
Use a hole punch to punch holes in the bottom right-hand corner of the business cards. Write a short message on the cards. The cards can also be printed with the name of the bride and groom or a wedding-related quote before being punched.
Place five to seven sugared almonds or equivalent amounts of other candy on each tulle circle.
Gather each tulle circle into a small packet and close securely with small, white rubber bands. This will ensure that the bonbonnieres stay closed.
For each packet, lace one length of cut ribbon through the hole in the business card. Tie the ribbon and card around the band of the tulle packet and fluff the tulle.
Stack tied and fluffed bonbonnieres loosely in a basket and cover them with cling film or tulle fabric to keep them dust-free. Wicker baskets, wire baskets or bird cages are ideal for presenting the bonbonnieres on the big day.
Tips and warnings
- Sugared almonds are roasted almonds covered in fondant.
- Those who bake can make sugared almonds at home.
- Consider using roasted, salted pumpkin seeds inside bonbonniere packets for autumn wedding celebrations.
- Use an odd number of treats in each bonbonniere packet for good luck.
- Straight-edged ribbon is easier to work with than more ornate ribbon types.
- Do not use fabric markers, pens or lead pencils to draw on tulle fabrics.
- Only use sharp scissors to cut tulle, as tulle is delicate and tears easily.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for