The cottage look evokes a cosy, inviting charm in any room. While you may not think of your bathroom as a room you can decorate it to the same extent as you decorate the other rooms in your home; it is not as difficult as it sounds. By using a few vintage pieces that work with your colour scheme, you can capture a cottage look that is all your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vintage pieces
- Framed linen samplers
- Antique jars and bottles
- Worn dresser
- Wall sconces
Choose light and neutral colours and add splashes of colour with a few accessories. White is a popular cottage colour used with varying shades of blue, red, peach, yellow and green. Choose colours that make your bathroom feel soothing and relaxing.
Decorate with vintage pieces alongside your practical accessories. Use mirrors that have aged frames. Hang a group of framed linen samplers to create a cosy mood. Look for antique jars and bottles as well as vintage fabrics and linens to display in your bathroom. Items that look used are good choices for the cottage style.
Hang window treatments that soften the look of the bathroom. Without compromising your privacy, go for lacy or delicate window treatments. Hang linens or handkerchiefs to enhance the mood of a cottage room.
Use hardware that adds to the look you’re going for. Replace plain handles and fixtures with items that reflect a cottage charm. Look at everything from replacing the light switch plate to hanging tassels from handles to create a soft, charming look.
Add a worn dresser or bookshelf to store many bathroom necessities. Complete the look with wicker baskets to help keep gear from cluttering up the room.
Use a rug that captures the essence of this theme. Generally, cottage rugs look worn and seem like they have lived a good life. A rug that matches the colours in your bathroom will give your bathroom a feeling of unity.
Hang wall sconces to create mood lighting.
Tips and warnings
- Install a claw-foot bathtub in your bathroom. These tubs are the quintessential icon of the cottage bathroom with their old-style charm. These tubs are large and luxurious and enhance the cottage look and feel of any bathroom.
- Shop at flea markets and garage sales for unique pieces to add to your bathroom.
- For small bathrooms, use tall, slender shelves or cabinets so the room won’t feel crowded.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for