Large tissue paper pom-poms are expensive pre-made decorations for a party. They are decorative pieces for a wedding, shower, Quinceanera, Sweet Sixteen party or holiday gathering. Save money and hand-make these colourful hanging florals for a casual to formal event. Make pom poms in single, bicolour or tricolour with layers of coloured paper to match the colour theme of the event. Use full sheets of paper for large pom-poms, or half sheets for medium poms and 1/4 sheets for small-sized table decorations.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Tissue paper sheets
- Craft stick
- Florist wire
- Mono-filament or ribbon
Place eight to 12 full sheets of tissue paper onto a clean work surface. Make sure they are evenly stacked, one on top of another.
Fold the sheets accordion or fan style from one short end to the other. The folds should be approximately 1-1/2 inches wide. Be sure to keep the folds even. Use a craft stick to smooth the folds down for a crisp edge.
Securely wrap a 15-inch piece of wire around the centre of the folded strip.
Hold the centre of the folded tissue in one hand while wrapping one "leg" of the wire around the opposite leg. Firmly twist the wire legs or ends until they are pinched tightly against the paper centre. Twist several more times.
Cut the end of each sides of the folded paper with straight or decorative-edge scissors. Cut a round or pointed shape to the ends of the paper to make petal edging.
Carefully separate the layers of paper by pulling apart the outer edges near the centre. Continue to pull the thin sheets apart to loosen and shape the pom-pom petals. Repeat with the other side of the pom-pom.
Tie a piece of monofilament or ribbon around the wired centre for a pom-pom hanger.
Tips and warnings
- Wrap the wire ends with floral tape to form a short handle if the pom-poms are being used for a cheering tool. Wrap the wire to a dowel rod with floral tape for a long, sturdy handle.
- Use chenille stems or white-covered wire to make small pom-poms for table decorations and napkin rings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for