Instead of purchasing a Chia pet, you can make your own at home with a pair of pantyhose. The Chia pet brand features clay figurines that represent planters. These figurines are made to sprout grass seed that resembles fur or hair on the figurine. Make your own Chia pet as a craft project, or teach your children about growing plants while being creative at the same time. After making your own Chia pet, sit back and wait for the grass to grow in as little as two weeks.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tennis ball
- Permanent markers
- Grass seed
- 1 tsp bleach
Cut off one leg of a pair of pantyhose. Cut at least 12 inches above the toe of the pantyhose to give yourself plenty of pantyhose to work with.
Place a tennis ball into the toe of the pantyhose leg.
Decorate the pantyhose. With the tennis ball placed into the pantyhose for stability, draw facial features of your preferred animal with permanent markers. The top of the Chia pet will be at the end of the pantyhose. You can sew on buttons and other accessories to accent your Chia pet, but make sure these materials will not fall apart once you add water.
Remove the tennis ball from the pantyhose. Roll the leg of the pantyhose down to your Chia pet.
Place the homemade Chia pet on an old dish. Place 3 to 4 tbsp of grass seed into the pantyhose and then fill the rest of the pantyhose with soil to replicate the shape and size of the tennis ball.
Tie a knot on the pantyhose to keep the soil in place. Make the knot tight and secure so that the soil does not shift around.
Place the Chia pet right side up on the dish. Water the Chia pet daily to keep the soil moist. Make a solution of 1 tsp of bleach with 1 gallon of water to kill any mould when you water the Chia pet. The plant will begin to grow grass hair after one to two weeks.
Tips and warnings
- Instead of using permanent markers, you can paint the pantyhose to make your homemade Chia pets. Paint may show up better than permanent markers, which will make certain features stand out more.
- Twist off sections of the Chia pet once you fill it with grass seed and soil to make facial features such as a nose or ears. Hold these twisted sections in place with rubber bands.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for