How to Change My Postal Address

Updated July 19, 2017

Whether taking an extended vacation, moving across town or relocating to another state or country, residents can ask for their mail to be forwarded and delivered to a different or new address by submitting US postal form 3575, which is also known as a Change of Address form. The USPS suggests submitting a form two weeks prior to the moving date in order to assure proper delivery.

Obtain a Change of Address form, also known as PS Form 3575. Find the form at your local post office, request a form to be delivered by your postal carrier, call 1-800-ASK-USPS, or print or submit online at the U.S. Postal Service website (see References).

Fill out the form with all required information, including your old and new address, the date you wish for mail to be redirected and whether or not the change is permanent or temporary.

Submit the form by returning it to the post office, giving it to your mail carrier, completing the request over the telephone or submitting it online. Note that a 60p verification fee applies to requests submitted via telephone or Internet.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Katharine Mitchell began writing in 1994. She has has written for "Fodor's," "The Insider's Guide to Beijing," "Time Out", "City Weekend" and Matador. She attended the Summer Literary Seminar in St. Petersburg, Russia. Mitchell has a Master of Fine Arts in fiction from the University of Montana and a Master of Arts in English from the University of Mississippi.