A canopy lends a room an exotic, romantic look. Fortunately, your bed does not need a canopy frame or even four posts for you to add a canopy decoration to your bedroom. Select any lightweight fabric of any size and cascade it from your bedroom ceiling for an instant bedroom makeover. Canopies work well in many types of bedroom decor, including Victorian, modern, Indian, country, shabby chic, cottage and tropical.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Eye hooks
- Fishing line
- Curtain rods
Select fabric for your canopy decoration. Translucent, lightweight cotton, gauze and sheer silk work well for a shabby chic or Indian palace look. If you prefer something more opaque and tailored looking, consider canvas ground cover or muslin.
Embellish the fabric. Adding fringe, tassels, embroidery, patches, pom-poms, beading or small mirrors to your fabric makes for a rococo canopy decoration. However, ornaments can impede the ability to machine wash the fabric.
Iron the fabric. If the fabric is too delicate, spray it with a fine mist of water and hang it on a clothesline to eliminate wrinkles.
Create a frame for your canopy. Drill holes in the ceiling along the periphery of where you plan to hang the canopy fabric. Insert eye hooks into holes. If you plan to cover the entire ceiling, drill extra holes for eye hooks to support the fabric and create a draping effect.
String one or two layers of fishing line between the eye hooks. Pull the line taut before knotting it around each eye hook.
Stretch fabric so that it cascades over each side of the fishing line frame. If the fabric weighs too much for the fishing line, attach curtain rods directly to the ceiling and hang the fabric over them.
Tips and warnings
- Extend the effect of your canopy by adding soft and flowing textiles in other parts of the room. Hang sheer panels over windows, and surround a tufted ottoman with floor cushions.
- Keep canopy fabric away from heaters, lamps and open flame.
- Do not use low-hanging canopies in rooms with infants and small children.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for