Men's bedrooms tend toward a pared-down style because they generally prefer a more tailored look, free of frills. Men have latitude to display their own taste in home design. Their bedrooms can be sensual and contemporary and remain free from the bachelor pad stereotype. Choose basic furniture with simple lines, quality electronics and tasteful accessories in a serene and welcoming colour scheme. This way the bedroom becomes a peaceful oasis for a man, and accommodating for company.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bedroom set: bed with two matching nightstands and dresser
- Entertainment centre (optional)
- Lamps with dimmers
- Tailored bed skirt
- Large pillows
- Vertical blinds
- Framed art or photography (optional)
Select the main items of furniture, which may include a bed, dresser, nightstands, entertainment centre and a chair. Contemporary, no-frills furniture styles work well for a man's bedroom. A dresser with a large mirror adds dimension to the room. To achieve a sleek, well-designed look, choose matching furniture or furniture in the same finish. For example, if you select a bed set in walnut---a dark brown finish---choose an entertainment centre in walnut or another dark brown finish.
Choose sheets, pillow shams, a tailored bed skirt and a comforter in complementary colours, such as light blue and slate grey, or ivory and chocolate brown, or black and tan.
Buy unobtrusive window treatments such as vertical blinds and basic drapes. Fussy valances, ruffled fabrics, prints and other obtrusive window coverings look out of place in men's bedrooms.
Obtain accessories to add to the comfort of the room. If the floor is uncarpeted, put runner rugs on each side of the bed. Add a lamp with a dimmer switch to each side of the bed. Large bolster cushions placed against the headboard make the bed look inviting and make it comfortable for sitting on to read or talk.
Add personal touches to the man's bedroom, such as framed art, photography, a collection in a display case or a bookcase. Choose items that express the man's interests.
Reduce clutter in a man's bedroom. Keep items that aren't out for display in the dresser drawers or closet. Maintaining a neat, clean environment creates a good impression when a man has company.
Tips and warnings
- Browse furniture showrooms and websites on interior design for ideas.
- Keep the number of colours to a minimum. Bare surfaces and soothing colours create a peaceful bedroom.
- Add plants for an added decorative feature. A tabletop fountain can provide a serene atmosphere.
- Personalise the room to keep it from looking like something copied from a magazine.
- A man's bedroom furnished in antiques or retro furniture will also work. Look for items from a similar era and style.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for