Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum! Pirates are everywhere these days. There are pirate-themed parties and events, as well as Halloween. Since the recent release of pirate movies, pirate costumes are becoming all the rage. A captain's hat can be a part of a pirate costume, and it is actually quite simple to make.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Old large-brimmed hat
- Piratey icon(s), such as a skull and crossbones
Put the hat on your head.
Fold the brim of the hat toward the centre of the hat at a diagonal angle in four places. So if you are looking at the hat, you want to push the sides on either side of the forehead to the head part of the hat. The same goes when you are looking at the back of the head. Push the sides of the brim up on either side of the back of the head in order to make the pointed area directly over the back of the head.
Remove the hat from your head, holding the brim in place. It might be easier to perform this step with a partner.
Staple the brim directly to the head part of the hat in all the places where you pushed in the brim.
Cover the staple marks with icons or stitching. A stitch shaped like an "X" is piratey, as is a skull and crossbones pin or a pirate flag pin.
Tips and warnings
- Change the colour of your hat by spray-painting it before adding icons. So if you have a hat that is pink, simply spray-paint it black or brown after stapling the brim.
- This process should give you a pirate hat with the corners on it. The corners should protrude above your forehead, above the back of your head and to either side.
- Use caution when using the stapler to avoid stapling your fingers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for